Applying for Psychotherapy Courses
ALLIANCE OF PSYCHOANALYTIC PSYCHOTHERAPY TRAININGS (APPT)
OFFERING A TRAINING IN PSYCHOANALYTIC PSYCHOTHERAPY
By email to:
020 8341 0916
By post to:
1 Fairbridge Road
By email to:
020 7272 7013
TRAINING COURSES IN PSYCHOANALYTIC PSYCHOTHERAPY
The Foundation course and the Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy course are jointly offered by Arbours and AGIP.
If you need to decide whether to apply to Arbours or AGIP (for the Foundation course and the Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy training course) you are advised to look at the web sites of the two organisations, and also the website of APPT. You can then explore the ethos of each organisation. You can also request to speak with someone from the Arbours Training Committee who can offer you some guidance.
Notes for completing the application:
Please note that applications to the Foundation Course commencing October 2015 are now closed.
To apply for the Foundation Course October 2016 please find forms below:
2. Please enquire via the Training Administrator if you are interested in further details about the Training course starting in October 2016.
3. The Arbours Training Programme does not discriminate in regard to age. We generally consider that those individuals under the age of 28 would lack the experience to undertake a rigorous psychotherapy training. However, in exceptional circumstances, we are able to consider applications from candidates under 28 years of age. We would expect those applicants to have considerable experience of working with individuals, and probably some experience of personal therapy.
4. Please print/send the attached reference form to your two referees, who should be asked to return the completed forms to the Administrative Assistant at Arbours or AGIP, through whichever organisation you are applying, as soon as possible. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the forms are returned. The referee should have known you for a minimum of three years.
5. Return the typed completed application plus signed copies of academic and professional certificates etc. to either Arbours or AGIP at the above address. The application will be acknowledged by email where this is possible, otherwise by post.
6. Please include a cheque for £50 for the Foundation course to cover administrative costs. Your cheque should be made payable to Arbours or AGIP.
7. Please note that the closing date for applications is 31st July 2015. Late applications will only be considered so long as places remain and there is sufficient time to process them.
General information for applicants:
1. Once an application has been received, the procedure usually includes the following stages: consideration of your written application by our Training Committee: for the Foundation course, one individual interview with a member of Arbours or AGIP; for the Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy course, two individual interviews, one each with a member of Arbours and AGIP.
2. The fees for 2015/2016 for the Foundation course will be £775. The fees for 2016/17 and onwards have not yet been agreed although it is expected that the Foundation course fee will be similar to 2015/16 and the fees for the Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy course will be in the region of £1,750 per annum. Training fees do not include fees for individual therapy or supervision.
3. In accepting the offer of a place on any course, a non-refundable deposit of £250 must accompany the letter of acceptance of a place. This will be deducted from the first year’s fees.
4. Applicants are usually expected to have been in weekly psychoanalytically orientated psychotherapy before beginning the the Foundation course.
5. For the Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy training, AGIP trainees are required to attend personal individual psychoanalytic psychotherapy twice weekly throughout the entire duration of their training until qualification. In addition, a significant period of therapy at more than twice a week is expected at some time during the course of the training prior to qualification. Arbours trainees are required to be in personal therapy three times per week throughout the course.
6. Applicants and trainees must ensure that their psychotherapist is recognised by Arbours or AGIP as a training psychoanalytic psychotherapist. A therapist who is not already recognised will be asked to apply to either Arbours or AGIP, as appropriate, for ratification as soon as the applicant has been accepted to do the training. Both Arbours and AGIP have established criteria for the recognition of training therapists.
7. Applicants who are in personal therapy with a practitioner who does not fulfil our criteria for a Training Therapist can arrange a consultation to discuss the situation and if necessary receive help in changing to a new therapist.